Stop using Avisynth-MT

let’s start a vote, should I rename the blog “TheFluff’s list of things you shouldn’t be doing”? yes/no/maybe

  • Since the entire point of Avisynth is to load Avisynth plugins, and most Avisynth plugins sure as heck aren’t threadsafe, the efforts to try to make Avisynth-MT itself threadsafe are sort of meaningless. Not to mention they’ve failed spectacularly so far.
  • Nobody wants to have anything to do with the 64-bit version (or even make a trivial 64-bit wrapper) despite lots of threads requiring hilarious amounts of RAM.
  • Avisynth-MT uses Avisynth 2.5.6′s infamously memory leaking frame cache. Running out of memory is a Bad Thing, mmkay?
  • Avisynth-MT doesn’t handle system exceptions because someone commented out the original Avisynth code that did that forever ago and never replaced it.
  • In short, Avisynth-MT developers have no clue about what they’re doing.

Stop getting fooled by the ~blazing~ FPS numbers. An encode that crashes halfway through is effectively encoding at a negative FPS.

TL;DR: Pain is nature’s way of telling us “hey, stop fucking doing that, retard”. When nature does this, it usually has a good reason for doing so, and if you don’t listen, Bad Things will happen to you. Similarly, random crashes in a computer program are sorta your computer’s way of telling you “hey, stop fucking using that broken program, retard”.

Comments (11)

  1. Anonymous wrote:

    Maybe.

    I urge my fellow readers to vote similarly.

    Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 16:52 #
  2. K@Y wrote:

    Do you recommend the official 2.6 build or we should still use 2.5.8?

    Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 17:38 #
  3. Captain Sweating wrote:

    K@Y : I switched to 2.6 alpha 3 and had no major problem so far (it’s been a thousand hours of encoding or so).

    Anyway I also use MT, and I found it very stable. You’ll have to carefully choose your plug-ins, though. Don’t use complex scripts with obscure dependencies and you’ll be one the safe side. Also, don’t set an insane amount of threads. Apply the “4GB Patch” on the encoding application if it hasn’t been built with 4 GB support.

    If for any reason you have a crash (MT or not, power outage, …), you can still reuse the partial file to continue the encoding (thanks to mkv). Or split the processing into short parts to minimize the loss if you cannot use this container.

    So, learn to use MT. It’s not that difficult.

    Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 19:53 #
  4. heep wrote:

    @Fluff
    Blame your OS if it does not work for you.
    I NEVER had a crash using MT.
    >XP 32bit SP2 february2007 never updated in any form.

    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 00:09 #
  5. Alteration wrote:

    Fluff do you even do any fagsub encodes anymore?

    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 07:37 #
  6. TheFluff wrote:

    @4: ahahahah you still use windows xp
    also you completely missed the point (or maybe you just don’t understand thread safety at all, idk)

    @5: lolno. The only reason I even have Avisynth installed is so I can debug FFMS2 easily.

    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 12:03 #
  7. heep wrote:

    @Fluff
    I can use MT without problem and I SHARE how to do.
    You, you are just TROLLING.
    hihihi

    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 12:16 #
  8. lol wrote:

    Stop being fucking stupid. You say you don’t encode anymore and you’re saying what is and isn’t shit? I use MT all the time with the most obscure fucking filters imaginable and have had no issues since I actually took the time to use it.

    You must be right though. Why use all of my i7 overclocked@4.1ghz when I can use 20% of it instead? Thank you for the sound advice concerning encoding efficiency :lolno:

    Saturday, January 28, 2012 at 05:46 #
  9. lol wrote:

    *took the time to learn to use it

    Saturday, January 28, 2012 at 05:47 #
  10. odinigh wrote:

    He’s right, and he’s been placing his good advice up here for years.
    It’s up to you guys whether or not you take it.

    Tuesday, February 7, 2012 at 03:36 #
  11. Selur wrote:

    side note:
    there’s a ‘Avisynth 2.6 MT’ over at doom9, which from my experience is a lot more stable than the 2.58 version,..

    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 at 09:38 #